What is a VirtualBox
A virtualbox is a cross-platform virtualization application that installs on your Intel or AMD-based computers, and runs on Windows, Mac, Linux or Solaris operat191ing systems. It extends the capabilities of your computer so that it can run multiple operating systems (inside multiple virtual machines) at the same time. Before we proceed on how to install VirtualBox 5.1.24 on Ubuntu, Linux Mint & CentOS 7, lets take a quick look at some of the features Virtualbox does offer us.
VirtualBox Key Features
- App allows you to run more than one operating system at a time. This way, you can run software written for one operating system on another (for example, Windows software on Linux or a Mac) without having to reboot to use it.
- Software vendors can use virtual machines to ship entire software configurations. For example, installing a complete mail server solution on a real machine can be a tedious task. With virtualization, such a complex setup (then often called an “appliance”) can be packed into a virtual machine.
- Can be used for testing and disaster recovery. Once installed, a virtual machine and its virtual hard disks can be considered a “container” that can be arbitrarily frozen, woken up, copied, backed up, and transported between hosts. It also comes with a “snapshots” feature, which allows you to save a particular state of a virtual machine and revert back to that state, if necessary.
- Virtualization can significantly reduce hardware and electricity costs. Most of the time, computers today only use a fraction of their potential power and run with low average system loads. A lot of hardware resources as well as electricity is thereby wasted
Virtualbox is regularly updated with new features and bug fixed for a better user experience. Visit virtualbox changelog
wiki page for up-to-date changes and features.
How to install VirtualBox on Windows 10 machine
1. Download VirtualBox Installer – Go to the official Oracle VirtualBox download
page and download the latest version for Windows hosts.
2. Launch the downloaded installer and click next on the welcome screen
3. On the custom setup screen, you can change the install directory if you want or leave everything as default and click next
4. On the custom setup page again, leave as default and click next
5. On the warning network interfaces screen, click Yes
6. Now on Ready to install screen, click Install to begin the installation
7. Follow the in screen pop ups to complete the installation. Then click finish to complete the install
8. Launch VirtualBox
Install VirtualBox Extension Packs
The virtualbox extension pack is required as it enables support for USB, disk encryption, Vurtualbox RDP, NVMe and PXE boot support for intel chip cards.
1. The virtualbox extension pack can be downloaded from the official Oracle VirtualBox download
page under VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack.
2. On VirtualBox, click on File > Preference > Extensions > Click the Plus Icon and select the downloaded Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack.
3. Click install on the pop up menu and accept the license terms
4. Follow any prompt till install is completed. Click OK and OK
And there you go, you have now successfully completed the installation of VirtualBox on Windows 10 machine. Don’t forget to follow us
for more installs of Linux packages and Windows apps.
If you have any questions or run into any install challenges, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will get back to you.
Is VirtualBox safe for Linux?
Many people ask these question if VirtualBox is safe for Linux. Yes, VirtualBox is safe for Linux install. VirtualBox allows you to run native Linux OS like a normal Linux OS running on an actual machine rather than a virtual machine.
Which Linux should I use for VirtualBox?
Any Linux OS flavor will run well on a virtualbox without losing too much performance. Most people I know tend to run Lubuntu on a VirtualBox since Lubuntu is a lighter version of Ubuntu hence better performance.
In this article, we will be looking at how to install VirtualBox on windows 10 machine. Before we begin, lets start by looking at what a virtualbox is and its features.