Who was Nelson Mandela?
Nelson Mandela was the first South African black president in 1994, after spending 27 years in prison as a nonviolent anti-apartheid activist during his 20s. He was born in July 18, 1918 and died in December 5, 2013. Has fondly remembered as Madiba by those who loved him, he lived a simple, fulfilling and peaceful life while impacting his generation and generations to come after. Because of his lifelong pursuit of reconciliation and racial peace, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.
Below are some of Mandela’s inspiring words of wisdom and we believe these words would go a long way in impacting your life and to others around you.
Mandela’s Quotes to Inspire You
1. It is in your hands, to make a better world for all who live in it
2. It always seems impossible until it’s done
3. What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead
4. When people are determined they can overcome anything
5. The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall
6. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite
7. Lead from the back — and let others believe they are in front
8. History will judge us by the difference we make in the everyday lives of children
9. I knew as well as I knew anything that the oppressor must be liberated just as surely as the oppressed
10. Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear
Quotes From Mandela
11. For to be free is not merely to cast off ones’ chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others
12. Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure
13. When a deep injury is done to us, we never heal until we forgive
14. You will achieve more in this world through acts of mercy than you will through acts of retribution
15. A winner is a dreamer who never gives up
16. Poverty is not an accident. Like slavery and Apartheid, it is man-made and can be removed by the actions of human beings
17. I like friends who have independent minds because they tend to make you see problems from all angles.
18. We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right
19. Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world
20. You sharpen your ideas by reducing yourself to the level of the people you are with and a sense of humor and a complete relaxation, even when you’re discussing serious things, does help to mobilize friends around you. And I love that
Mandela’s Words of Wisdom
21. If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner
22. When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace
23. Real leaders must be ready to sacrifice all for the freedom of their people
24. Difficulties break some men but make others. No axe is sharp enough to cut the soul of a sinner who keeps on trying, one armed with the hope that he will rise even in the end
25. Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again
26. There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living
27. Money won’t create success, the freedom to make it will
28. One of the most difficult things is not to change society — but to change yourself
29. Man’s goodness is a flame that can be hidden but never extinguished
30. A fundamental concern for others in our individual and community lives would go a long way in making the world the better place we so passionately dreamt of
Inspirational Quotes from Nelson Mandela
31. Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.
32. A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
33. We must strive to be moved by a generosity of spirit that will enable us to outgrow the hatred and conflicts of the past
34. If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart
35. Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do
36. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others
37. Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death
38. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?
39. There can be no greater gift than that of giving one’s time and energy to help others without expecting anything in return
40. It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another
If you want the cooperation of humans around you, you must make them feel they are important, and you do that by being genuine and humble
Courageous people do not fear forgiving, for the sake of peace